The Story Behind the Lotus Flea Market

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Story Behind the Lotus Flea Market

Ms. Nur ran this year's Flea Market with the help of the Juniors, for a good cause.

Mahdi Rahmouni, News Reporter

The Lotus Flea Market was a successful event ran by Mrs. Ozer who teaches Character Education. Mrs. Ozer ran this event with the goal to raise money for students suffering from serious illnesses. 

When Mrs. Ozer found out about a student with Leukemia, she wanted to raise money to help the students’ parents pay their medical bills. Sadly, the state does not allow this. As a backup plan, she found out that the student is a fan of the Golden State Warriors basketball team. She then attempted to raise enough money to buy a ticket for them to be able to see their favorite basketball team. 

When asked how successful the event was she replied with “The event was very good for it’s time being held, but one big issue is that we need to get High School more involved because we did not have many donations from them as a whole.”

“Next year we plan to have the event at a more public place,” Mrs. Ozer stated.

I asked Mrs. Ozer what her plans were after they raise the money for this student. She answered, “ We plan to seek out other kids that are going through similar situations, and see if we could make them happy in their current situation.”

After a couple of weeks, Mrs. Ozer has raised almost $400! Although the family of the student preferred not to get the tickets, Mrs. Ozer and his/her mother have found another way to make the child happy. Instead, they bought a poster of one of the top players in the Golden State Warriors, a hoodie, a pillow, a jersey, and a backpack. The child was very happy to receive these wonderful gifts from such caring people.

All in all, the flea market is an important event that takes place here at Lotus and raises money for students with serious illnesses. Mrs. Ozer says “Please, if you know a friend of yours at Lotus in need of anything, not just money, please contact the Leadership teacher”. 

This event is expected to stay at Lotus for many years to come. It is still running and is every Thursday. However, the team has organized an additional Bake Sale to the Flea Market. For high schoolers, make sure to donate and participate in the Flea Market because any contributions can help in bringing a smile to the face of these kids.