LSE Wrestlers Need Support Too

Back to Article
Back to Article

LSE Wrestlers Need Support Too

Nazario and Salem practice with the guidance of their coach, Mr. Kois .

Wrestling has been a part of LSE athletics for years, yet it hasn’t received as much attention or participation as other sports.

Ronnie Kois, the varsity wrestling coach, has approached numerous students to try and get them into wrestling. Junior, Salem Scobee, was one of them. Salem agreed to join and showed up the next day ready to practice and later discovered her love for the sport.

“Unlike other sports, wrestling has so much that goes into it,” states Salem, “your whole body is on the line, I love it.”  Lotus wrestling doesn’t ever seem to get any announcements about students placing. However, recently Salem has placed third at the first tournament of the season. 

For Nazario Valladares, a tenth grader, wrestling has been in his family for a long time. Nazario’s dad used to wrestle and won city and state championships. Nazario’s favorite part of wrestling is “the unbreakable bond between teammates.” When wrestling, he loves pinning people and scoring points.

Johnathan and Scott practicing their technique.

When asking an anonymous student why they believe wrestling doesn’t get as much acknowledgement they stated, “I believe it has to do with the athletics department itself. They hype up basketball, and disregard other sports that occur during winter.” A survey of about 50 students showed that the Lotus community as a majority believes that wrestling is an underrated sport here.

So what can we do to change things? Come to one of wrestling practice 5:00 to 6:30 after school and try it out. Drive by the tournaments and see what wrestling is really about. Let’s not have any of our sports here at Lotus go unappreciated!