Lotus Gives Back

Bins+like+these+are+located+all+around+the+school+for+people+to+place+their+donations+of+non-perishable+food+items.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Lotus Gives Back

Bins like these are located all around the school for people to place their donations of non-perishable food items.

Rozina Begum, A&E Reporter

In the state of Colorado, the Food Bank of The Rockies is known as the largest private hunger-relief organization. Last year, they supplied more than 134,000 meals to children, seniors, and families desperate for food.

Every year Lotus participates in the food drive to gather donations of non-perishable foods to contribute to the Food Bank of The Rockies. Ms. Pejovski and Ms. Emel, along with the Junior National Honors Society and Elementary National Honors Society, set a goal to collect 1000 pounds of food this year. 

The last day to donate is this Thursday, December 20th. After that, they will determine if we reached our goal.

Unfortunately, it seems that the majority of the donations this year come from elementary. There have been few donations given by high school students especially. “We are giving incentives like homework passes, but I don’t know why secondary students still don’t donate as much,” Ms. Pejovski stated when asked about this.

She encourages everyone to do their part and give whatever they can. “Helping others should be one of our priorities in life. We are people, we should be helping each other. Helping each other is what matters. That’s what makes us rich: when we can put ourselves in other people shoes, feel empathetic,” says Mrs. Pejovski.

There is still time to donate and make a difference in the life of someone in need! You can donate any non-perishable food item in any of the bins located in classrooms!