The Meteor Shower

• March 19Chipotle Night is on Tuesday, April 9 from 5pm-9pm at South Havana St. come support!

• March 19$1 April fools dress day on Monday, April 1: dress out in your goofiest attire

• March 19McDonald's Night will be on Friday March 22 at The Gardens of Havana from 4PM-9PM

Filed under Showcase, Sports

Nike Hijab Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

Nike Hijab Review

Layla and Aisha with their Nike hijabs.

Layla and Aisha with their Nike hijabs.

Layla and Aisha with their Nike hijabs.

Layla and Aisha with their Nike hijabs.

Basketball season has been going on for a while now, and if you’ve attended the Lady Meteors’ games, you might have noticed something: the Nike Hijabs on the Muslim player’s heads.

These Nike Hijabs have recently become a requirement for Muslim basketball girls due to the original hijabs, “slipping and affecting performance.”  The hijab is sold at a price of $35 dollars on the Nike website, but Athletic director, Deon Jackson, is selling them at Lotus for $30 dollars.

“With the price of these Nike Hijabs I could buy seven other hijabs,” states an anonymous Muslim girl on the team. Coach Jackson, however, believes that the hijabs are worth their price stating, “They’re Nike and show that the team is unified, not to mention it is Dri-fit, and CHSAA approved.”

Nike describes it as, “lightweight, breathable fabric that wicks away sweat, and stays tucked in during any workout or competition.”

Amana Malki, a freshman basketball player, on the other hand, describes it as, “something that falls on your face a lot and suffocates you with all the sweat it absorbs.”

“It has a weird feeling and we look like a swim team, but it just enforces the unity of our team and makes us look better without worrying about the refs,” says Layla Haji, sophomore player.

Disregarding the style of the hijabs, many students were excited to see that a major company was creating merchandise with them in mind.

“I was really excited when I saw that Nike was coming out with a hijab. It made me feel more included and represented. It showed that Muslim girls have a place in sports too,” said junior basketball player Asma Awaleh.

The Nike Hijab definitely isn’t for everyone, but it is undeniable that the Nike Hijab has made a major step in including and representing Muslim female athletes. 

Read more on the official page of the Nike Pro Hijab to learn more about the development and research behind these athletic hijabs.