The Official Student News Site of Lotus School for Excellence

Going Green

December 20, 2018

Back to Article
Back to Article

Going Green

These are all the members of the Green Club.

Anuwar Hussein

Anuwar Hussein

Anuwar Hussein

A lot of students are advocates for environmental rights; however, not every student gets to act on those beliefs. At Lotus two students, Michelle Torres and Ada Arinze, have found a way to help students defend and protect the environment by creating an environmental club called “Green Team.”

Lotus has never had a proper environmental club until this year when juniors Michelle and Ada wanted to change that. Tired of going to school and seeing that no one had any real regard for the environment, they decided to start the club to help change this reality.

The club was created with the purpose of gathering students who want to help the environment and brainstorm ideas to see the best ways to help. Each person has an assigned job in the group. The current members of the club are Michelle Torres, Ada Arinze, Valeria Davila, Mahad Haji, Mahdi Rahmouni, Ashley Asumadu, Mariam Mhareb, Hiba Hussain, and Abelardo Sanchez while the teacher in charge is Mr.Turner.

Michelle was first asked why she decided to start the club and said, “Being every day at school and seeing that we don’t recycle or like even care a little made me want to start the club, it made me want to bring attention to it. We’re trying to help the world as a whole, because when you see a small change and you will later see a bigger change, like a domino effect.” 

Michelle, Ada and all the other students who partake in the club take their work seriously, so serious in fact that they have already planned out future goals.

“One of our goals is to make sure that everyone recycles.  Our second goal is to make recycling a mindset for people, and our third goal is to make sure that teachers encourage this,” Torres said. 

Anuwar Hussein
Don’t forget to recycle!

Right now many classrooms and even the staff lounge do not have recycling bins, so a lot of paper is being wasted every day. The club plans to raise money to make sure every room has a place to recycle.

“I went to get Mr. Hecker’s attention and everybody else’s attention because this should not be a choice but a must, to have the funds to support the environment. Another idea is to have paid dress days and cookie sales to help get the money,” Torres said. 

If you want to help in this important movement, please feel free to stop by room 213 on Tuesdays after school.