Why the Movie Bird Box is Trending

Back to Article
Back to Article

Why the Movie Bird Box is Trending

Keep your eyes closed.

Keep your eyes closed.

NETFLIX

Keep your eyes closed.

NETFLIX

NETFLIX

Keep your eyes closed.

Rozina Begum, A&E and School Culture Reporter

Bird Box is based on a 2014 novel written by Josh Malerman. However, the movie was released on Netflix in December 2018, and fans are still talking about it. Directed by Susanne Brier, Bird Box became Netflix’s biggest hit to date, getting approximately 45 million views after only one week of its release. It has been trending all over the internet, many memes went viral, and you have probably heard your friends or family talk about it. Let’s discuss what it’s all about!

This dark, heart pounding, thriller revolves around a mother who is on a perilous journey with her two young toddlers while hiding from unseen creatures who have taken over the world. What makes the journey even more impossible and terrifying is the ability of the creatures to control your brain, making you a neurotic, suicidal maniac who would do anything to get killed. The mother, Malorie Hayes, has learned that in order to survive, they would have to keep their eyes covered at all times while being outside, which is where the creatures are. If they look, they die. The screenplay follows a non-linear narrative taking us back to the time before the invasion, then to the time right after the invasion, and finally, to the present, where Malorie is on the run with her children. During her journey, Malorie learns about a safe-haven which can only be reached by a three-day journey on a ravaging river.

I asked a few students at Lotus School For Excellence about their thoughts and opinions on the movie, and there were a few responses:

“For me personally, I think it’s overrated, people made it seem like it’s one of the best movies,” said Nawal Elsayed, 11th Grader

“My favorite part in Bird Box was when Gary came into the house and he started pulling out the mysterious demon’s pictures and pulling the curtains apart,” Abigail Owusu, 10th Grader

This is the book cover.