Leading at Lotus

Samir Omair (far right), sixth place in 2A conference for assist.

Zekarias Tareke, Sports Reporter

Lotus has had a historic year, setting multiple sport records and reaching milestones. From soccer points to basketball three pointers made, our teams have worked extremely hard and proved countless times that we have what it takes to be statistic leaders.

The first record of the school year came exclusively from Mahad Haji, a Junior who set the school record with 28 goals this spring on the Boys Varsity Soccer team. Not only did Mahad break the school record for goals, but he placed sixth place in the whole state, a big and honorable achievement. Ahmed Hussein a Senior, made second team all conference defender on the soccer team.

Varsity Basketball Coach and Athletic Director Coach Jack says, “People have to appreciate the talent here. Mahad went from winning all conference defender last year to being a stat leader in STATE his first year playing offense, it’s crazy!”

The Girls Varsity Basketball team has also had quite the year, their hard work in the long off-season has paid off. Freshmen Amana Malki is ranked 17th place in the 2A conference in points this season with 135 points. Starting guard Ratag Abdelmalik ranks 7th place with 45 assists. To top off players individuals rankings, the Girls Varsity team as a whole has 175 steals, 12th place in their conference.

“We live by this code of they can out-skill us, but they will never out work us, and that’s something that has drastically increased our game thanks to Coach Jack,” Hayat Araso, manager of the girl teams says.

The Boys Varsity Basketball Team has shown much growth and improvement since last year, ranking higher in multiple different stat brackets. Senior Daniel Dessalegn ranks 1st in state for 3-points having 54 made. Seniors Daniel Horra and Sam Omair rank 3rd (81 assists) and 6th (73 assists) in 2A conference in assists respectively. The basketball team as a whole in the 2A conference ranks 1st in three pointers made with a record high 86, and 6th in assists with 215.

Daniel Horra, Varsity boys captain feels that, “All the hard work put in is showing, and the ball really doesn’t lie. If Lotus continues to progress like this in athletics, the future for the kids coming up are endless.”

All sports teams this year have put in hard work, time, and dedication in the long off-season to make this year the best it ever was. Support your Lotus teams goals by coming out and watching them perform!

*All stats from 1/24/19 MaxPreps.