Women in NFL

Back to Article
Back to Article

Women in NFL

Toni Harris, who has announced she wants to play for NFL as a safety.

Aisha Eldursi, Sports Reporter

Antoinette Harris, also known as Toni Harris, has stated that she wants to be the first ever female NFL player. Born in Detroit, Toni discovered her love for football at age six and has been working to overcome stereotypes of women’s roles.

Toni played safety at her school, Redford Union High School. She was recently given an offered to play football at Bethany College. Although she isn’t the first female to announce that she wants to part of the NFL but she has proven she has quite the skills.

Successful women in the NFL include Kathryn Smith-the first female assistant coach in NFL history starting in 2016. Sarah Thomas has become the first female American football official and Lauren Silberman tried out for the NFL but didn’t make the cut  Many of these women followed their dreams and pursued them to the very end, significant landmarks for women.

Upon interviewing a couple of students whether they believe women could be in the NFL Oscar Gutierrez Franco, an NFL fan, stated, “It depends, there are a lot of obstacles one has to overcome to join the NFL and it all goes through the NFL manager, so maybe.”

“I feel like women should deserve to be able to play in the NFL, but it may be too physical for women so there should be a separate NFL but for women to make it fair,” states Zekarias Tareke.

Jeremy Arriola states, “That would be pretty dope and females could be better than some of the guys.”