The Meteor Shower

• May 6Senior Graduation is on May 24!

• May 6No School on May 27 (Memorial Day)

• May 6Last Day of School is May 29 (Half Day)

New Uniform Change

Back to Article
Back to Article

New Uniform Change

High School students can wear a black shirt and any choice of pants.

Mourad Al-Mouradi, News Reporter

Most of you might have heard, either from the announcements or your teachers, about a new uniform policy. Starting next year, from 2019-2020, Lotus will be changing its uniform dress code for the entire school. This new change was decided by students, staff, and even parents from a survey conducted about uniforms.

From the survey, the majority of the students did not want any uniform while the majority of the parents did want uniform. Meanwhile, the majority of the staff voted for uniform with or without the logo. Thus, the results were very mixed with each group having a different opinion. 

Mr.Williams was interviewed in order to get some more information and details about the actual new uniform policy as well as what we are able to wear. The first question that Mr.Williams was asked was, “What is the new uniform policy that students will have and what rules and things should kids follow including what things not to wear and what things to wear?” Mr.Williams sent the actual new uniform policy which read, Elementary: Burgundy polo (purchase from any store), any color pants (including jeans). Nothing tight or overly revealing. No holes in pants. Non-Lotus sweatshirts/jackets may not be worn in the building. Middle School: Navy Blue polo (purchase from any store), any color pants (including jeans). Nothing tight or overly revealing. No holes in pants. Non-Lotus sweatshirts/jackets may not be worn in the building. High School: Black polo (purchase from any store), any color pants (including jeans). Nothing tight or overly revealing. No holes in pants. Non-Lotus sweatshirts/jackets may not be worn in the building.”

Mr.Williams was also asked, “What encouraged the uniform change?” Mr.Williams answered by saying, ”Based on input received from the student, staff, and parent uniform surveys,” Mr.Williams said regarding the new uniform, ”Students and parents will be able to shop at a variety of stores for their polos (even online) and jeans, regardless of socioeconomic level. Another reason given was that jeans are more durable than the khaki and navy blue dress pants, which places less of a strain financially on families from having to buy several pair of uniform pants each year. The advantage of having a different color polo for elementary, middle and high school is that we can tell students apart based on grade grouping.” Lastly, Mr.Williams was asked, “Do you believe that the new dress code will keep the students safe when coming to school?” Mr.Williams replied by saying, ”Yes, I think this new uniform policy will keep the students safe. However, it is important to note that safety wasn’t the main factor in this change.”

Students from Lotus were interviewed in regards to the new uniform policy because students’ voices and opinions are very important.  Abrahim, who is in eleventh grade, when asked about his preference on school dress code said, “ I think we should have free dress since not everyone is comfortable with wearing the same thing as everyone else.” Abrahim, however, also said that “I think uniform is also important because it represents your school and will keep us safe by identifying kids if they belong in that school or not.” Two other eleventh graders, when asked about the uniform policy, said, “I think it’s good because it’s  more convenient because we don’t have to go out of our way to find some khaki pants.” 

The new uniform policy is slightly different from Lotus’ current policy but gives students more freedom in what they chose to wear and is part of many changes coming to Lotus in the year 2019-2020.

1 Comment

One Response to “New Uniform Change”

1. adviser on May 21st, 2019 2:25 pm

taj and saaida are so cute!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• New Uniform Change

News

The Finishing Touches of the New Building

• New Uniform Change

News

Remembering Nipsey Hussle

• New Uniform Change

News

New Secondary Counselor

• New Uniform Change

News

8th Grader Promoted to Eagle Scout!

• New Uniform Change

News

The Zombie Deer Epidemic

• New Uniform Change

News

Second Annual S.T.E.A.M. Festival

• New Uniform Change

News

Second Annual African Night

• New Uniform Change

News

Meet Our Board

• New Uniform Change

News

Former Lotus Teacher Accused of Sexual Assault

• New Uniform Change

News

Wait, My Books Are How Old?

The Official Student News Site of Lotus School for Excellence
New Uniform Change