WW3: Reality or Fantasy?

Getty

Unless you have been living in the sea under a rock with Patrick Star you have heard the commotion about another possible “world war” going on.

On the 3rd of January, 2020, Iran’s general, Qaseem Soleimani, was killed by an American drone missile.

It has not officially been said that there will be another World War, but there are predictions. 

Let us go back a couple of days where everything started slowly escalating between the U.S. and Iran. On the 27th of December, 2019, Iran launched a rocket that headed towards an American military base in Iraq. After all of this happened, Mark Milley told MilitaryTimes, “We are in a period of heightened risk with respect to Iran.”

MilitaryTimes interviewed Bill Urban and asked for his statement about the rocket attack. Bill Urban said, “While no U.S. service members were killed in the Jan 8 Iranian attack on Al Asad Airbase, several were treated concussion symptoms from the blast and are still being assessed.”

This rocket attack killed a U.S. civilian contractor, and plenty of Iraqi and U.S. members as well. The U.S. suspected that a paramilitary group known as Kata’ib Hezbollah were the ones involved with the rocket attack. 

On the 31st of December 2019, the U.S. organized an air raid against the paramilitary group who had conducted the launch. The air raid wounded about 50 Hezbollah members and killed at least 25 of them. That same day, some Iranian groups went to Baghdad, the capital of Iraq, to burn property and buildings.

On the 3rd of January 2020, the president of the United States, Donald Trump, ordered the military to send a drone missile to Iran. This drone missile that was sent killed one of the most powerful men of Iran, General Qassem Soleimani. That, ladies and gentlemen, is when everything escalated even more. Four days later, Iran launched 15 missiles targeted to U.S military bases throughout Iraq and Iran. The death of General Qassem impacted thousands of Iranians. 

This is when everyone and their mothers started posting memes about there being a World War III. There has been no confirmation that there will be another World War.

I went ahead and interviewed three Lotus students to hear their opinions, Xiemena Quiroz, Jonathan Diehl, and a student who would like to be anonymous.

In the interview with Jonathan Diehl, he was asked, do you think that the president of the United States is going to do something next after Iran bombed the American military base in Iraq? In his response, he said, “I feel like Trump is just going to hide and not do anything extreme, but just talk nonsense.”

I asked Xiemena, how did you feel when you woke up to the fact that there would possibly be another world war? She responded by saying, “I thought it was more of a joke because of all the memes. I went straight to Facebook and there were hundreds of memes about there being a war. Then I started reading more into it and that’s when reality came in.”

When the anonymous student was asked, how do you feel about the commotion with Trump and Iran? they responded by saying, “Once something comes to national news we know about it, but at that point, it’s a little too late. All of the conflicts are very scary and unnerving.”

I also asked all three students what their predictions were for the future of all the commotion. Xiemena answered by saying, “I feel like nothing is going to happen because Trump is kinda a chicken and is going to run away from the problems, but I feel like now he’s going to just keep going with it so he can stay in office.”

The anonymous student stated, “A future war will be very devastating considering the weapons that have been developed. All we can do is hope it doesn’t get to that point.”

Lastly, Jonathan said, “Honestly, I don’t know. The cards show nothing is gonna happen, but Trump is a child, so who knows what happens when you give a child a nuke.”

As I have said before there is not a confirmation of a world war. We just have to wait and see what will happen next.