The New Debate Club

Back to Article
Back to Article

The New Debate Club

The debate club when they went to a debate at CCHS.

Ms. Martin

Ms. Martin

Ms. Martin

Lotus continues to add new and fun ways to get students to be involved in after school activities, and the new debate club is a great opportunity to do so.

The club is run by Ms. Martin and Mr. Shearer, although the idea originated from senior students. Ms. Martin explained, The concept for debate club was created by our seniors. They wanted to begin an informal club where they could argue about issues that were important to them. This grew into an official debate club. We are now members of  the National Speech and Debate Association, as well as CHSAA (Colorado High School Activities Association), and we now compete within the district debate community.”

The fact that the teachers here at Lotus care enough to get a school club to be certified on a national level is truly remarkable work. 

Having a debate club at our school is amazing and can make the students better. In a statement, Ms. Martin responded, “I think that this club should exist because while Lotus absolutely thrives in athletics, I believe that we can thrive in academic teams as well. Our students are so smart and tuned into contemporary happenings, and they deserve an opportunity to demonstrate that intelligence and awareness of current events. I think we could make it better by recruiting more students! The more people who want to learn to make an argument about something both relevant and important to them can only make the club stronger.”

Having a more academic competitive clubs can be very beneficial to the students here. Showing them that you don’t always have to depend on sports to compete offers opportunities for more students. 

If you are interested in joining, Ms. Martin provided all the information, stating,“Club meets on Fridays from 3:30 – 5:00 in room 142. Although, we are looking to add more dates and times, too. In the 2020-2021 school year, it will be an all-year club from August to May. The only qualification to join debate is that you are in grades 9-12. At present, it is only a high school team.”

If you are interested in joining the debate club or you would like more info contact Ms. Martin or Mr. Shearer.