Lotus School’s First Computer Science Award

Back to Article
Back to Article

Valeria Davila, Mayra Cortez, Michelle Torres, Gricely Guzman, and Solikha Normurotova were students of Mr. Demir last year for his AP Computer Science class.

Mariam Mhareb

Mariam Mhareb

Mariam Mhareb

Lotus recently won an award for computer science, as mentioned in the morning announcements. According to Mr. Demir, we received this award for achieving high female representation in AP Computer Science. Lotus earned the College Board AP Computer Science Female Diversity Award. 

There are about 20,000 schools that offer AP courses and only about 818 actually achieve this important accomplishment from 2018 to 2019 school year. Almost about 20% more than the year before. Lotus was one of 143 that were recognized in this category. As Mr. Demir said in a statement, “I’m proud to see the creativity, commitment, and enthusiasm our female students have demonstrated in their study of AP Computer Science A. As an educator, I believe a STEAM education plays a critical role in fostering a lifelong relationship with learning, setting our female students on a path to success in a 21st-century workforce.

Osman Demir

This award means a lot to our school. We as a community feel like this shows the true diversity of what our school embodies. As Mr. Demir stated, “AP Computer Science A students learn to design and implement computer programs that solve problems relevant to today’s society. Providing female students with access to computer science courses is necessary for ensuring gender parity in high-paying technology jobs and to drive innovation, creativity, and competition.”

We thank Mr. Demir for encouraging us as a Lotus community to become better in the AP Computer Science Award. Be sure to stop by and congratulate Mr. Demir.