The Meteor Shower

• January 7Freshman & Sophomores College Night on Friday 1/25/19

• January 7No School on Monday 1/21/19 (MLK Jr. Day)

• January 7Juniors College Night is on Friday 1/18/19

Late to Lunch?

One+of+these+students+would+be+in+trouble+walking+the+hallways+during+lunch+time.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Late to Lunch?

One of these students would be in trouble walking the hallways during lunch time.

Consweyla Ball

Consweyla Ball

Consweyla Ball

“What late-to-lunch policy? How could you be tardy to lunch?” exclaims senior Fernanda Gutierrez Franco.

New admin, new students, new year. With the end of quarter one comes an outcome that all students look forward to: tardies resetting. A new rule has been implemented, however, and it affects those who take their time during the passing period. You can be late for lunch!   

Lotus secondary students must be at lunch or recess when the bell rings like they would their regular classes. Tardies from lunch work on the same basis regular ones do, but so far no one has gotten to the point where real disciplinary actions are required.

If you haven’t heard of this rule, it’s because with the new school motto, “focusing on the positive,” Mr. Williams,  the Secondary Dean of Student Culture, believes that enforcing a new rule requires a method different from the previous admin. He says, “rather than assuming the entire school isn’t compliant with where they are supposed to be, we are coaching individual students by warning them first.”

A new rule allows students to play on the court after finishing their lunches on stage.

His advice to the Lotus family is, “Just be where you are supposed to be, understand the admin and teachers are all trying to keep the entire school safe and accounted for…. We are trying to make things better when it comes to lunch.” 

Admin has certainly made some other big changes to the lunch policy this year. Students are now allowed to be on their phones during lunch and play in the gym after they finish eating. 

With the goal of making “the culture more positive,” Admin is hoping that students don’t see this as a backtrack in decreasing behavioral issues. Their main concerns are the safety and security of students, who could be unaccounted for if wondering in the hallways during an emergency. For this reason, all students are required to have a pass when being in the hallways, no matter if they are in a class or on their lunch period. 

Despite the explanation provided by Admin, some students still think the lunch policy is too strict.

“Mr. William’s mouth salivates at the thought of handing out a late to lunch slip, his eyes glow red,” Salem Scobee, high school varsity volleyball captain says, “I’m just kidding, I know Admin really cares, but I see the late-to-lunch slips as an unnecessary action that is our school doing too much.”

Consweyla, a junior who has gotten a lunch tardy says, “People don’t want to ditch lunch, it’s their free period, why would we skip that?”

This year, students are allowed to use their phones during lunch.

Whether you feel like this new policy is too strict or recognize that it is an important safety measure, hall sweeps have begun and this rule is here to stay.  Check out our new poll about this policy, and share your thoughts in the comment section below!